Asbestos is a naturally occurring material that has been prohibited in the United Kingdom for over two decades. Unfortunately, it was a
material that was widely used for a variety of construction and decoration reasons in residential, commercial, and industrial properties
until it was banned.
Because asbestos fibre exposure can be detrimental to human health, especially if it is severe and happens over a long period of time, the
substance has been outlawed. As a result, if you feel you have discovered asbestos in your home or workplace, you should be quite
concerned. Exposure to the fibres might have catastrophic consequences, so how can you determine if you’ve been exposed?
We’ll look at asbestos in this blog, including why it’s dangerous, how to detect if you’ve been exposed to it, and what you should do if you
What makes asbestos so hazardous?
Because of its many advantageous properties, asbestos has been used in construction for many years. From the 1950s to the 1970s,
asbestos was widely used in construction as well as a variety of decorating items such as sprays like Artex and other types of ceiling and
floor tiles.To strengthen the strength of the material, it was often ground into powder and then incorporated with cement.
As a result, asbestos is still widely used in older homes around the United Kingdom. It’s harmful because when the material is disturbed, fibres can escape into the air and be inhaled into the lungs. They are extremely difficult to remove once they have entered the lungs and can cause long-term damage.
One of the factors that makes asbestos so deadly is that the symptoms of asbestos exposure usually do not manifest until years after the exposure.
Asbestos-related health problems
Asbestos fibres can cause major health problems if inhaled, and some of the illnesses can even be fatal. As previously stated, the symptoms of these disorders do not usually manifest for years after exposure, at which point it is impossible to intervene.
Although not everyone who is exposed to asbestos will develop an asbestos-related illness, exposure at a young age and over a lengthy period of time is linked to a higher risk. Asbestos exposure can lead to a variety of ailments, including:
- Asbestosis is a disease that affects people (scarring of the lungs or pulmonary fibrosis).
- Mesothelioma is a malignancy that affects the lining of the lungs (cancer of the lungs).
- Lung cancer caused by asbestos
- The lungs and chest walls thicken due to pleural thickening.
How do you know if you’ve been exposed?
Because there are no obvious indications of asbestos exposure, determining whether or not you have been exposed can be challenging. You are at a higher risk if you reside in an asbestos-containing building or work in an environment where you are likely to come into
contact with the substance.
It is critical to get an asbestos survey completed as soon as possible if you have discovered a substance that you believe is or contains asbestos in a place where you live or work. Asbestos surveys look over a property for asbestos, obtaining samples and conducting tests
Because asbestos can resemble non-harmful elements and vice versa, it’s crucial to conduct a survey to determine whether or not asbestos is present.
Who is most likely to be found out?
People who work in specialised industries or in older buildings are more likely to be exposed to asbestos. Although it should be noted that if you work in a property, your employer has a responsibility to manage and minimise your risk of asbestos exposure.
Because asbestos was more widely used in the creation of their workplaces, several professions have a naturally higher risk of exposure to the material.
These are some of them:
- Workers in the construction industry
- Workers in the maintenance department
- Workers in the demolition industry
- Workers in the manufacturing industry
- Workers at a power plant or in the chemical industry:Visit our homepage for more info.